Are you thinking about handing out ice cream or smoothies, or offering a pancake stack slathered in butter and syrup? To fight the threat of foodborne illness on the playa, the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (NDPBH) has requirements for camps serving food or beverages, including a health permit. 

You must apply to the NDPBH and be permitted as a Temporary Food Establishment if:

  • You wish to share or serve food or certain beverages including fresh squeezed juice, coffee with dairy, or even snow cones, to the general Burning Man population (including gifting food, regardless of the number of people served); or
  • You will be preparing or serving food to more than 125 fellow campers in your camp.

If you have a communal kitchen shared by 125 or more campers but meals are prepared individually or in smaller quantities than for 125 persons, a permit is not required. However, we highly recommend you review the guidelines for safe food handling.

Guidelines for Safe Food Handling

On the NDPBH website’s information page, you will find the “Burning Man Guidance Document 2019” and the “Burning Man Self Check List 2018.” 

Permit Application

Instructions on how to apply are available at “How to Apply for a Temporary Food Establishment — Burning Man” or “Instructions on applying online for returning burners.”  . 

Applications must be received by close of business day, August 9. 

NDPBH does not issue new permits at Playa Info!

Picking up the Permit

Once your application is approved, you will receive written notification of approval. However, you must pick up the permit at the event at Playa Info in Center Camp Saturday, August 24 through Wednesday, August 28 from 11 am–5 pm.

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR PERMIT TO BE IN COMPLIANCE. Previously several camps failed to pick up their permit and could not be located. 

Additional questions: Please contact the NDPBH at (775) 687-7533 or email EHScustomerserviceathealthdotnvdotgov  (EHScustomerserviceathealthdotnvdotgov)