Road debris is a serious concern any time of the year and in the U.S. annually causes 51,000 accidents, injuring nearly 10,000. Don’t add to the U.S. statistic. Secure your load safely like someone you love is driving behind you, because they are. (See Travel Tips). Although we have been greatly improving, this is a serious safety matter and our LNT Highway Cleanup team still cleans up road debris that has blown off vehicles departing the event. Follow these tips and leave the highways clean, beautiful, and safe.
- “Tie It Strong!” Firmly secure your load with straps, rope, bungee cords or netting. The wind exerts hundreds of pounds of pressure per square foot at 60 miles per hour, pushing it right off your vehicle.
- “Cover It Up!” Loose items should be firmly covered with a tarp or netting.
- “Lighter On Bottom!” Put lighter items below heavier items and evenly distribute the load.
- “Do Not Overload!” Keep items level with the truck bed or trailer unless firmly tied down.
- “Double Check!” Ask yourself, “Is this roadworthy?”